Shelby GT350 Performance By Numbers
The Ford SVTP Team Invited the automotive press and media to join them today for a full reveal of the new Shelby GT350 Mustang.
So far this is what has been revealed according to editor Turner @SVTperformance.
• The official horsepower of this naturally aspirated 5.2 liter Shelby is a stellar and very healthy 526 at the crank
• Torque peaks at 429 lb-ft at the crank
• The engine Blocks are described as second generation and made at the Windsor, Ontario plant.
• The valves are "much larger" and the cams provide 14mm of lift
• The throttle body measures 87mm - We will have to add a BBK Performance Power Plus Series throttle body and see how much more power it will make.
• The Cylinder heads will be 6% lighter than the 5.0 Coyote and will have hollow-stem intake valves and sodium-filled exhaust valves
• The camshafts will provide 14mm of lift
• The flat plane Crankshaft is rifle drilled
• Block is honed with torque plates
• Engine has a 12:1 compression and burns 93-octane fuel
• The rev limiter cuts fuel at 8,250 rpm
• The crankshaft is only 15 percent of the rotational inertia of the engine
• The oil pan and windage tray are all one piece
• Cylinder heads machined for reduced weight, 6-percent lighter than Coyote heads
• Intake manifold flows better than a Boss 302 intake
• The 87mm throttle body is the largest single-bore unit ever used by Ford - Our BBK Power Plus series should be able to add some additional ponies here!
• Exhaust manifolds are similar to those found on the 5.0 Coyote GT and appear to be restrictive - This again will be an area where the addition of a set of BBK performance long tube exhaust headers and a high flow mid pipe would be benificial and help gaining additional horsepower and torque to the rear wheels of any of the Shelby GT350 Mustangs.
• The transmission will be a Tremec 3160 Six speed that will be bolted up behind a dual disc performance clutch
Dave Pericak is the director of Ford Performance and he said today
“A new Mustang as exceptional as the Shelby GT350 deserves an equally extraordinary engine, The all-new naturally aspirated 5.2- liter V8 perfectly fits the balanced dynamics of the Shelby GT350, and we believe this new engine will become a performance legend.”
Further reducing engine weight is a unique new aluminum engine block featuring Ford’s patented plasma transferred wire arc cylinder-liner technology. This process eliminates typical heavy iron cylinder liners with an electroplate coating. The forged-steel flat-plane crankshaft is “gun drilled” to reduce total engine weight and to improve bay-to-bay cylinder breathing. A lightweight, high-capacity composite oil pan contains baffling designed for sustained high-speed cornering and hard braking.